What do you get if you combine an enriched and spiced dough recipe and combine with sourdough starter, then make it huge? A giant hot cross bun, aka Hot Cross Boule!
This is a great one for Easter bakes – slice and enjoy plain or even better toast and serve with plenty of butter. It also freezes brilliantly 🙂 It does take the best part of 1 day (and an overnight) to make but it’s really worth it!
Makes: 1 large loaf
Takes approx. 18-20 hrs
- 500g flour + a little more for shaping/kneading. As a guide use 300g white bread flour + 200g wholegrain spelt, but it would work with other variations like 400g all purpose & 100g bread flour.
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 150g approx. of hydrated starter – use a big scoop then add 50g of flour & 50ml of water, wait for 3-4hrs to activate…
- 50g light brown or caster sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp dried cardamom (or use whatever spice mix you like)
- 1 egg (add extra milk if egg free)
- 60ml/ 0.25 cup milk or plant mylk
- 40g butter/vegan block in cubes
- 190-200ml approx. of water
- 1 cup of dried fruit (such as a mixture of mixed vine fruits, sultanas & mixed peel)
- Optional: grated zest of orange & zest of lemon
- Add around 50g of flour & 50ml water (extra to main bread water & flour) to your scoop of starter & mix. Leave for 3-4hrs to start it off.
- When ready to use, warm milk with the cubed butter until it’s softening but not entirely melted. Add to starter with sugar and egg and mix together.
- Add in the flour then mix into a dough. Add the water a little at a time to end up with a sticky dough, but not wet. Cover and leave for 1hr.
- After an hour, add salt, spices and mix in the dry fruit. Lightly knead in the bowl to bring it together, then knead for 5mins on a counter.
- Start the folds – approx. 1 time every 45mins-1hr for up to 4 times, total of 4-5hrs.
- Turn out into your basket or onto floured tea-towel in bowl. Cover and pop in fridge for up to 12hrs.
- Take out of fridge, leave for 1-2hrs to bring back to room temp. Turn into pre-heated cast iron casserole, score with a deep cross. Bake 200c in hot cast iron pan covered for 35mins, then uncovered for 15mins.
- Glaze with sugar syrup & cool before slicing and eating!
Enjoy & if you do make it, share with us on our social platforms or by emailing email@example.com!