Take bread & butter pudding, add banana and oats and you’ve got yourself an excellent (and nutritious!) breakfast bar that can be grabbed and munched on on the go or enjoyed as a post school snack!
This recipe uses up old bits n bobs of bread. If you’re anything like us then you often have extra ends and crusts and those bits work well with this… We often gather together the extras and freeze them until there’s enough to make this dish or your could blitz your bread into thick breadcrumbs and freeze them until you’ve gathered enough too – chunks or breadcrumbs work just fine.
- 2 bananas
- approx 4 cups of bread chunks / 3 cups of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup/240ml Oat custard, or use oat or dairy milk
- 1 cup porridge oats
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp cardamom (optional)
- 60ml honey/maple syrup
- Optional: 2 tbsp ground flax
- Optional: 2 tbsp quinoa flakes
- Optional: Handful of raisins/sultanas/cranberries, choc chips, chopped nuts
- Optional: molasses sugar for sprinkling
- Cut the bread up into chunks or blitz into big breadcrumbs
- Mash the bananas in a mixing bowl and mix in the milk, maple syrup/honey, eggs, spices and vanilla
- Push the bread chunks/crumbs into the liquid with a fork and mix in the oats (add flax and quinoa flakes now if using)
- Leave to stand for 10-15mins for things to combine
- Mix in any optional ingredients like dried fruit or choc chips and push down into a lined square 9″ baking tin
- Sprinkle with molasses or demerara sugar
- Bake at 180C for 45mins or until the top is golden brown
- Leave to cool for 10mins in tin before cooling on a rack. Cut into squares or thick fingers whatever size you prefer!
- Delicious eaten warm and great with yoghurt…