When it comes to making cookies on a whim, it’s really useful to have all the ingredients in your store cupboard rather than discover you need to brave the elements to get one or two things… These cookies are great as a standby for those times you’d like to whip up some easy munchies, such as a wet weekend day when you’d like to be playing board games and reading with a sweet snack to tide you over. An easy one for kids to make too!
Lightly crunchy around the edges and soft in the middle, they make great fuel for kiddos for breakfast or after school, lightly sweet, moreish and very versatile too – add in what you like from your cupboards like nuts, chocolate chips or even some dried chunks of fruit like apple…
- 50g Butter or vegan butter
- 100g Honey or maple syrup
- 1 egg yolk or flax egg
- 100g Peanut or other nut butter (or sunseed if you have a nut allergy)
- 175g Muesli of choice (you could perhaps use granola but if so, lower the sweeter elements)
- 50g Plain or GF flour
- 1 TBSP cacao/cocoa powder
- 0.5 tsp Bicarb of soda
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- Optional extras: Handful of chopped nuts, chocolate chips, extra dried fruit like apples or chopped dates/apricots
- Melt butter with honey in a pan
- Take off the heat and mix in the nut butter. Once combined, add in the egg yolk and mix well.
- Pour in the muesli, flour, cacao, bicarb and any extra ingredients you’d like to add and mix well until thoroughly combined
- Sit for minimum 15mins in the pan to allow the flour and muesli to soak up the wet ingredients. You can leave it for around an hour if you like..
- Heat oven to 180C. Drop tablespoons of the mix onto lined baking trays spaced out a bit, and flatten the tops a bit. Sprinkle some of the sea salt onto the top of each (if you like). You should be able to fit around 9 on a tray at a time.
- Bake for around 10-12mins. They should spread a tiny bit, but if you’d like them thinner then push them down before you bake..
- Once out the oven, leave on the tray for 5mins to cool, then lift each onto a cooling rack to cool and eat as you wish!